Sao Joao Batista dos Militares Church
Brazil

This is one of the few churches in Olinda, that was preserved from the fire started by the Dutch in 1631. The reason for this could be because it belonged to the military brotherhood and because it has served as general quarters for the invaders. However there is an inscription above the pulpit dated after 1660 suggesting that it had been reconstructed after the Dutch invasion. The Master Plan for the restoration of the building was financed by the Foundation and the State Government (FUNDARPE), and carried out by Centro de Estudos Avancados da Conservacao Integrada - CECI.

Home